The Operating Engineers Pathway offers high school students a chance to prepare for and explore careers in equipment operation. This page has resources for the news media, schools, contractors and anyone who wants to promote the program. If you’re a reporter on deadline and need assistance, please contact Local 49 Communications Director Jonathan Young at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-463-9117.
Jump to section
You may print and distribute this flyer with answers to frequently asked questions about the program.
More than 100 Minnesota school districts have had students participate in the Operating Engineer Pathway program. Click here to download a PDF list of districts that have participated.
Want printed materials? We’re happy to send high-quality 5 x 7-inch postcards and 11 x 17-inch posters free of charge. Please see the samples below and click the button to request printed materials.
You’re welcome to use these images on your website to promote the Pathway program. We recommend linking the images to local49.org/pathway. Click an image to download.
Would you like a speaker to discuss the Operating Engineer Pathway at your school, office or event? Please use this form to request a speaker.
Check out these photos from our hands-on events. If you’re a journalist in need of high-resolution photos without watermarks, please contact Local 49 Communications Director Jonathan Young at email@example.com or 612-463-9117.
Short program intro video (1 min. 41 sec.): This quick introduction gives a high-level summary of the program. Feel free to share the video or embed it on your website using the code below the video.
<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/j97lvCbjezc” title=”YouTube video player” frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen></iframe>
Minnesota program overview video (12 min. 1 sec.): Here’s a more detailed look at the Minnesota program. It’s ideal to share with educators and others who want more information on how the program works. Feel free to share the video or embed it on your website using the code below the video.
<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/PteS_eti9Pk” title=”YouTube video player” frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen></iframe>
North Dakota program overview video (11 min. 50 sec.): Here’s a more detailed look at the program geared toward North Dakota students. Feel free to share the video or embed it on your website using the code below the video.
<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/-Bdb5Tez47M” title=”YouTube video player” frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen></iframe>
- “I think that the Pathway program is spot on getting you ready for the real world.”
-Marley Sherbon, Pathway program graduate and apprentice with Mortenson Construction
- “I think a lot of parents would find out what the 49ers really do. I never thought that you were able to just come and check out to see if it’s a fit for you.”
-Bobbi Bernath, International Falls, Pathway student parent
- “I am excited for this program to be available in North Dakota, as it will help set the pathway for students, which is exactly what the construction industry needs. With a shortage of skilled equipment operators, we need to train the next generation. This program will prepare students for an excellent career and help employers find the talent we need to meet the demands of the future.”
-Molly Barnes, executive vice president of Northern Improvement
- “I was fully ready to go. And doing those classes got me to be ready to go.”
-Ryan Milton, Pathway graduate and apprentice with Ulland Brothers
- “I am absolutely amazed at the opportunity our students have statewide to learn and partner with Local 49. I feel like it is a triple win. A win for the students to have a chance to run equipment and learn from our industry experts, a win for the college as students are able to articulate credits, and a win for the industry as they are getting young people to join the industry with background knowledge and passion for the pathway.”
-Superintendent Mary Morem, of Houston Public Schools, home of MNVA
- 10/13/22: Ames heavy equipment rodeo
- 8/10/22: Pathway enrolling students for 2022
- 5/2/22: Hands-on event at Ziegler Cat
- For Minnesota students and parents: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For North Dakota students and parents: Ronda Schauer, email@example.com
- For news media: Local 49 Communications Director Jonathan Young, firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-463-9117
- For Minnesota school counselors, educators and administrators: MNVA Career Readiness Program Coordinator Grete Blum, email@example.com
- For apprenticeship questions: Local 49 Training Center Career Navigator Akeethia Lloyd, firstname.lastname@example.org or 320-372-2033
- For contractors, politicians and potential program partners: Local 49 Director of Workforce & Community Development Jenny Winkelaar, email@example.com or 612-368-5933